For years I've posted my windsurfing New Year's Resolutions in The Peconic Puffin. A list of ambitions and goals, accompanied by a look back at how I'd done with the previous year's resolutions. Then in 2011 I got the dumb idea of having No Resolutions be my New Year's Resolutions. "The unaimed arrow never misses" I quoted. Doy. So what happened? 2011 was a crappy year, I hurt myself late in the year, and never even managed to say a thing about 2012 (le crap deux). So I sure as heck am ambitioning for '13 (my lucky number):
1. More ocean sailing, and in new spots. Regardless of what Sandy did to our usual spots (The Bowl, Ponquogue, Oh Tiana etc) I'd like to try setting sail at places like Flying Point, where the SUP waves have been good but we haven't put windsurfing board to water.
2. 7.5 freestyle. I bought a light 7.5 to milk the marginal days...now I need a repertoire of tricksyness to go with it. I'm thinking carve 360s, flip jibes, way slow donkey jibes etc.
3. Air. I can't remember the last time I was getting decent air regularly in a session. Partially that's been conditions, partially injuries, and partially me. Regardless, I miss the thrill.
4. Quality SUP. It's not windsurfing, but it's wavy and wonderful and I want to improve.
5. SUPsailing. It IS windsurfing, and I'd like to catch a few wave sessions thus.
6. Get enough sessions in that Scott and the Wolf don't express surprise when they see me.
7. Stay healthy.
A windy and wonderful windsurfing new year to you all!